The Honey Tour
Enjoy an entertaining and educational guided tour with Brian who is the Beekeeper at Wildacres and also Airfield Estate in Co. Dublin. On the Honey Tour you will learn about the wonderful world of the native Irish honey bee and our 100 precious wild bee species. You will also get a unique insight into the fascinating process of sustainably producing Raw Irish Honey from ‘flower to jar’.
- A guided walk and informative talk to see all the pollinator friendly native trees, shrubs, wildflowers and ornamental flower beds that our apiary of honey bees forage on, for pollen and nectar.
- Enjoy the unique opportunity to see the honey bees up close in action in a specially constructed observation hive, without having to put on a bee suit!
- View the honey processing equipment and hear all about the captivating process of how honey is extracted from the frames of the hive and bottled ready to enjoy.
- Taste the delicious different types of Raw Irish Honey produced at Wildacres, including Wildflower Summer Honey, Ivy Honey and the much sought-after Heather Honey.
- See samples of other hive products including bee pollen, beeswax candles, lip balm, soap and beeswax wraps.
- Enjoy Tea, Coffee and Wildacres Honey Oat Cookies during the break, seated overlooking the scenic ¾ acre wildlife pond.
- Opportunity to purchase raw Irish Wildacres honey and other hive products, and become a member of the Wildacres Hive Sharing Community.
Duration: 2.5 hours
Group size: 10 – 14
Price: €65 *
Age: 16+ years (must be accompanied by an adult)
Weather: Please dress for the great outdoors and Irish weather.
Suitability: Some uneven ground. Sturdy outdoor footwear recommended.
* Note: Wildacres is a Social Enterprise and all proceeds from tours, walks, workshops, courses and products go directly towards biodiversity protection, restoration and education through the Wildacres Nature Reserve Project.